In order to fulfill the growing need for young women seeking a strong college-preparatory education in the Catholic tradition, Sacred Heart Academy was founded September 9, 1946, by the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, at that time known as the Missionary Zelatrices of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (MZSH).
The school was established by Sr. M. Antonine Signorelli, a visionary leader who recognized the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the young students who would go on to become leaders in the local area and beyond. Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien of Hartford and Diocesan Superintendent of Schools Rev. Francis Heffernan approved the founding of the school.
SHA started out with 17 students in New Haven on Greene Street in the provincial house of the MZSH. Each subsequent year brought increasing enrollment and expansion of facilities. In 1953, the congregation, by this time renamed The Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, moved to a new location in Hamden: Mount Sacred Heart on Cherry Hill, a property acquired from the estate of a local businessman by the name of Manley Chester. SHA also moved to the same property in 1957.
For many years, the new facility served the needs of the growing school. However, subsequent principals have followed in the visionary steps of Sr. Antonine, evidenced by the growth of the facility. Please continue to Legacy of Leadership.